Caddo Parish School Board
Role Of The School Board
The Caddo Parish School Board is composed of 12 members elected by voters to serve single-member districts. School board members serve four-year terms. Every year, the school board is legally responsible for the education of children from prekindergarten through grade 12 who live within the parish boundaries. It is a policy-making body whose primary function is to establish rules and regulations concerning organization, general politics, major plans and procedures for the public schools. The board appoints a superintendent to manage its budget, supervise the staff and students, and make recommendations on operation of the school system.
Meeting Dates and Times
The Caddo Parish School Board holds its regular meeting at 4:30 p.m. on the third Tuesday of every month. The meeting is open to the public. The board meets in the Board Room of Central Office, located at 1961 Midway Avenue.
The Executive Committee meets at 4:30 p.m. on the first Tuesday of each month to establish the agenda, to identify consent agenda items, to participate in a work session and to receive instructional presentations.. Additional meetings may be called to consider specific topics at other times.
How to Address The School Board
IF YOU WISH TO ADDRESS THE SCHOOL BOARD, PLEASE FOLLOW THESE STEPS:
- Write your name, address and phone number on the form provided on the table before the meeting begins.
- When your name is called, step to the microphone and make your remarks to the entire board.
- Limit your comments to no more than five minutes if speaking on an individual topic or if you represent an employee organization.
- If several visitors ask to speak on the same issue, the board may ask groups to consolidate their comments and/or to limit comments to three minutes.
- It is the board’s policy not to respond individually to members of the audience. When appropriate, the board may refer concerns to the staff to be addressed.
- It is the board’s policy to resolve concerns closest to their origins. Parents are encouraged to talk first with teachers, then principals, then central office administrators to address their concerns.
How You Can Remain Informed And Involved
In order to follow the work of the board in session, copies of the agenda are available on tables at the Board Room entrances.
The Caddo Parish School Board utilizes the BoardDocs automated agenda system. The public may view board meeting agenda items,documenting materials, and recommendations from any Internet-accessible computer by going to the BoardDocs website: http://www.boarddocs.com/la/caddo/Board.nsf
The board and superintendent welcome summary information pertaining to a specific agenda item(s). Comments may be mailed to:
T. Lamar Goree, Jr., Ph.D.
1961 Midway Avenue
Shreveport, Louisiana 71108
Comments must be received by the second Tuesday of each month.
The superintendent will review your signed and dated correspondence as part of the process for making recommendations on agenda items.
The minutes of the board meeting are published in the classified section of the official journal, The Shreveport Times.