Caddo Schools is hosting a voter registration week in partnership with civic organizations that aim to register eligible high school students to vote.
Civic groups across the country and locally seek to inspire a commitment to civic participation through voter registration by having a presence at area high schools and registering seniors to vote. A key component locally is observing the first Tuesday in May as National High School Senior’s Voter Registration Day. The program was created in 1996 and presented by First Tuesdays, Inc. in Shreveport, LA.
The group, First Tuesdays Inc., seeks to inspire students to make a lifelong commitment to civic participation in all areas of society by educating them about the importance of voting, observing a special day to mark the occasion and registering them to vote.
The program consists of two major campaigns, voter registration and voter education. The registration phase targets high school seniors and the education phase begins during third grade and continues through senior year.
First Tuesdays, Inc. initiatives include the following:
- To observe the first Tuesday in May as Voter Registration Day (early registration starts 2 weeks prior)
- To register high school seniors and students of voting age to vote
- To educate our youth about the importance of participating in the political process
- To encourage students to make a lifelong commitment to civic participation in all areas of society
This year, Caddo Schools and First Tuesdays Inc. will kickoff Voter Registration season with an event at the Caddo Virtual High School campus. 8028 Shreve Park Dr, Shreveport, LA 71129 on May 3, at 9:00 a.m.
This event and initiative is sponsored by:
- Caddo Teacher Credit Union
- Red River Credit Union
- Raising Cane’s Chicken Fingers
- St. Matthew AME Church
- St. Mary AME Church
- Shreveport-Monroe District ( AME) Ministers Alliance
- Pendleton Dentistry